From the Studio of… Miseon Yoon

We’re so excited to present this look into the life and studio of South Korean artist Miseon Yoon.

Miseon in her studio. View her portfolio here.

Favorite material to work with?
I work with various hand-painted fabrics that I’ve created.

What themes do you pursue?
Unstable human emotions. People and animals around me that I can interact and share feelings with are a rich source of inspiration.

My works are records of the process of discovering parts of myself that have been hidden for a long time, feelings that arise during the process of cutting and attaching fabrics constantly.

A work in progress.

How many years as an artist?
I have been creating paintings for a long time, because the only way to escape from the pain of the trauma from my family was through paintings.

Around 2005, I started designing clothes for myself, which was naturally connected to my current art work.

Where is your studio?
My studio is in Seoul in South Korea.

Check out Miseon’s portfolio

What was the best advice given to you as an artist?
From my best friend “Love yourself, and let’s start.”

Art school or self-taught?
I received a BFA at Hong-Ik Univ. in Seoul. I learnt the basics of fabrics at school, however I developed my own technique by myself.

View Miseon’s portfolio

Prefer to work with music or in silence?
I enjoy various kinds of music while working. These days I am so into cello.

What’s around the corner from your place?
There is a peaceful lake and park which I can walk around.

View more of Miseon’s work

Where can we find you outside the studio?
Mostly, in a café or a bookstore. Sometimes I take a walk in a park near my place.

If you couldn’t be an artist, what would you do?
I would be an architect.

Day job?
I am a full-time artist. I do not have any other job.

What do you collect?
Books.

A work in progress

Favorite contemporary artist?
Anselm Kiefer, Thomas Schutte, Antony Gormely, Nam June Paik, Francis Bacon, Louise Bourgeois…

If you could only have one piece of art in your life, what would it be?
“The Two Brothers” by Picasso.

Miseon’s studio

Who are your favorite writers?
Jean-Paul Sartre, Natsume Soseki, Marcel Proust.

Use anything other than paint?
I use hand-painted fabrics and threads.

“Face 13-7″

Is painting dead?
Not at all. It is impossible.

Favorite brush?
I do not use brushes. My works are completed by sewing fabrics that I’ve painted with my hands.

“Facee 13-6″

Monet or Manet?
Manet.

Power-tools?
Sewing machine and scissors.

Ever get injured on the job?
I got my finger pricked once by the needle of sewing machine, and I have allergic Lhinitis and asthma because of the fabrics.

“Face 13-5″

1. Hermit says:

A good use of coloured fabric in building up the images of the faces you create, giving them an alternate and unusual aspect that you don’t usually see in regular portraits.

Keep up the good work :)

2. Nicole levy says:

These are wonderfully emotive and powerful images
    I love the texture and power of the combination of shapes and colour

3. Thank you for letting us see some of your artistic process. You create amazing, powerful images in a very unique way. They are truly inspiring.

4. Mike says:

Beautiful people always create beautiful things. I was very pleased to see you and your work, thank you!

5. Fantastic work, I was thinking while reading your interview that you maybe interested in the http://www.worldofwearableart.com that is the World Of Wearable Art show competition, it is very fantastic and international, even though the shows are in Wellington New Zealand, I would love to see one of your creation in the show, your work is very unique.

6. Seu trabalho é maravilhoso! Forte e sensível! Trabalhei durante 12 anos com pintura em tecidos e muitas vezes acrescentava a costura. Me identifiquei muito com seu processo criativo.
    Parabéns e sucesso sempre!!
    Marcia Valentini

7. Pernilla Iggstrom says:

Very refreshing and inspiring to see your creative process. I’m also proud to be a fellow Korean although based in London and raised in Sweden.

I really like the way you have pinned the fabric piece onto a ‘canvas’ before sewing them together (to the right of you in the top photo). Why not try to leave it like that with the needles to give a 3D impression?

Best of luck with your art and dealing with your family trauma.

Take care,
    P

8. Chloe Yang says:

Marvelous work! It is incredibly creative and powerful. I really like the combination of the colors you are using and its rough texture. Thank you for sharing your work place and the process!

Keep it up!

9. Subhash Parihar says:

Hello Miseon Yoon! You are doing interesting work. Keep on!

10. Kathleen Oh says:

it’s amazing such powerful image can comes from pieces of fabrics; not to mention the rigidity of controling the areas of fabrics to express something must be much more difficult than using strokes of brushes…

11. Steven Low says:

Its really motivating that you picked fabric as the material to work with yet you can be allergic to it as well. very strong will you have :) thanks for sharing

12. Tony chung says:

Amazing unique work!

13. A large percentage of of the

things you mention happens to be astonishingly

appropriate and that makes me ponder why I had not

looked at this with this light previously. This piece really did

turn the light on for me personally as far as this specific topic goes.
    Nevertheless there is actually one

particular issue I am not necessarily too comfy with

so while I attempt to reconcile that with the main

idea of the point, allow me see exactly what all the

rest of your subscribers have to point out.Nicely done.

14. Leila Kanso says:

I find your work very artistic. Your creative ideas of sawing fabrics and drawing faces on Canvas has a very strong effect. You could also color around the faces too.
    You are a very good artist. Keep your work going wish you good luck.
    All my best.

15. Veronica says:

This site is known as a walk-

via for the entire information you needed about this
    and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse right here, and also you’ll

undoubtedly uncover it.1
    There may be noticeably a bundle to learn about this.

I assume you made

sure good factors in features also.

Here is my web blog; Costa Blanca Spain fishing; Veronica,

16. Mauricio says:

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be actually

something that I think I would never understand.
    It seems too complex and extremely broad for

me. I’m looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!

17. Joellen says:

Wow! Thank you! I always needed to write on my blog something like that.
    Can I take a part of your post to my site?

Also visit my website … Costa Blanca Spain Information (Joellen)