From the Studio of… Susanne Ruccius

Each week we visit a Saatchi Online artist to share a glimpse into their studio, a peek inside their sketchbooks, and best of all, insight into their inspirations. Read on to discover more about German artist Susanne Ruccius.

Check out Susanne’s portfolio

Favorite material to work with?
I used to work with many different materials and use many different techniques including the use of textiles for objects, watercolour and acrylic paint for paintings, and coloured pencils for drawings. However, I have recently started to work in oils—preferably on raw canvas—as well as water colours and inks on thick white paper.

What themes do you pursue?
Nature and textiles, surfaces, ornaments, patterns. I love the close-up view and I believe that beauty lies within all things. There is a great need for art to push boundaries and to put fingers in wounds, both politically and personally, but I also believe that the things worth living for need to be shown. I see the work I do as a statement of sensitivity and tranquillity, just how I love to feel at home. I leave it to the others to paint the exiting and loud parts.

How many years as an artist?
I have called myself an artist since I finished university in 2004.

Where is your studio?
In the district Lindenau west of Leipzig centre. The house is run by an association which, amongst other projects, provides affordable workspace for creative people. My studio is on the first floor.

View Susanne’s work

What was the best advice given to you as an artist?
I guess I’ve been given some good advice in the past but as I’ve not always listened! I decided to make it my personal aim to just stick to making art no matter what and to remain true to myself.

Art school or self-taught?
First I undertook an apprenticeship in order to become a carpenter and was planning to go on to studying restoration. During that time I realised that while I adored the beautiful things that already existed, I was even more excited about the prospect of making new things myself. So I applied for a painting studies course at Burg Giebichenstein University of Art and Design. After a while I switched to textile art (no design, no clothes). The experience I gained from working with textiles—the process as well as the materials—still often informs my work.

Prefer to work with music or in silence?
While concentrating I prefer silence and when thinking I enjoy classical music.

What’s around the corner from your place?
There’s nothing much to distract me: a tram station, a kebab take away and a DIY shop. But I’m also not too far from the famous Spinnerei and the city centre.

“Blue on Yellow” ($500)

Where can we find you outside the studio?
I used to love to travel but at the moment I’m spending quite a lot of time at home or going for walks with my child.

If you couldn’t be an artist, what would you do?
It wouldn’t be me then I guess. In another environment, time or place I might have chosen to be involved with music, biology, books or to be a craftswoman.

“Silver Threads” ($700)

Day job?
At the moment I’m a full time artist.

What do you collect?
Tactile memories like sand or earth from places I’ve been to; shells, stones, seeds, feathers, buttons and many other little things that touch my heart or remind me of something or someone special.

“Rosablue Heads Down” ($251)

Favorite contemporary artist?
With regards to painters I love Peter Doig for his use of colour, his topics and expressive style and David Hockney for his ability to find beauty in everything as well as for the ease in his paintings. Also I’m a huge fan of Dale Chihulys glass seaforms and Andy Goldsworthy for the amount of patience he puts into his work and the breathtaking sensitivity for the materials he is working with.

If you could only have one piece of art in your life, what would it be?
A plate by Grita Goetze I would use to eat off of every day.

“Pricked Cloud” ($100)

Who are your favorite writers?
There is no doubt. My favourite one is Arno Schmidt. Something to recommend for German readers „Kaff, auch mare crisium“, something for me to look forward to is „Zettels Traum“.

Use anything other than paint?
I often experiment with all sorts of materials such as clay, earth, textile fabrics, and wood. I take photographs for memories and I sketch in order to understand and experience. But when it comes to making the final piece of work I mainly use oil on canvas or watercolour on paper.

“o.T.” (Halme) ($200)

Is painting dead?
Why would it be? Every new artistic expression, I think, is just an addition to what’s already there. And what if it was? There are so many other amazing ways to express.

Favorite brush?
I have lots of different brushes for different purposes.

Palette knifes?
Not at the moment.

Monet or Manet?
More Monet, they both painted incredible works but Ernst Haeckel is the one for me!

Check out Susanne’s portfolio

1. impressive work Susanne says:

keep it up

but again a question for those asking the questions
    ask those bi polar patients at those many art workshops
    if paintings dead

• susanne ruccius says:

Hi, thank you. I will!

And for the questions- every provocation is a good way to precise my own point of view.

Susanne

• " . " says:

if art is dead or not
      made by bipolars or not
      some may say
      they don’t care
      about other painting snips

2. Love your patterns Susanne, really love your first photo it took me right back to when I was a kid drawing in that position for hours but usually our cat at the time was sitting on my back. Really enjoyed reading about your work, your favourite artists are my favourites also, groovy. Kind regards Kate

• susanne ruccius says:

Hello Kate,

Thank you for your posting. Sometimes I wish I had started to work in the horizontal way but especially for watercolor (aquarell) its never working for me.
      Best for you Susanne

3. I like your paintings! Very interesting sense of choosing colors and composition.Good luck!

4. YVB says:

you can find the real art here http://www.saatchionline.com/yourivb

5. Jay says:

great concept Suzanne! brilliant colours. x

• susanne ruccius says:

Hi Jay,
      Thank you for your comment. Every positive review gives me good power for new works.
      Susanne

6. stimetzo says:

I like the illusion of the feeling of the textile, which is coming true your work, nice!

• susanne ruccius says:

Dear Stimetzo, Thank you, I´m never sure when I paint if others see what I see in it. But in the end its more important for me that the paintings speak to others at all. The better if, like you, someone sees what I intended to see. Kind regards Susanne

7. susanne ruccius says:

Unfortunately the wrong account is connected to the Interview. Here comes the right one:

Susanne Ruccius

8. ge says:

hey susanne,
    klasse zu sehen, dass andere kuenstler auch gerne auf dem boden malen und nicht am tisch oder an der staffelei.
    Deinen Ratschlag”stick to making art no matter what and to remain true to myself” fand ich gut. Viel Erfolg mit Deiner Kunst (:

9. ben mitchell says:

I like the watercolours a lot …how much are they?

10. This definitely beats the very purpose of reading,
    because comprehension and learning is compromised. The Harvard Business School followed the research
    in producing the first film-aided course that is designed to widen the reader’s field of focus.
    There are a few simple steps you can take mentioned above that
    should easily double your rate of reading, but
    you can go a lot farther than that if youre willing to work at it.

11. Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to assert that I acquire in
    fact enjoyed account your blog posts. Anyway I will be subscribing
    to your feeds and even I achievement you access
    consistently quickly.

12. kiscamp.com says:

Hmm it appears like your website ate my first comment (it was extremely
    long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
    I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to the
    whole thing. Do you have any helpful hints for
    beginner blog writers? I’d certainly appreciate
    it.

13. Richie says:

Of course the solution is very simple you can get guests from your own friends list.
    You more or less download an android phone emulator.
    Out of this stage the rest is rather self explanatory.

14. Tales of Wrestlemania is now from Ps and Xbox. I’ve been writing on Examiner
    for a small over per year today and Iam getting more comfortable within my writing.

Then items hopped forward in computer engineering.

15. .txt says:

Comience el nite establecido una vez más si tiene que configurar.
    Net Framework . Si el chat que desea , no obstante, no está allí usted podría intentar restaurar desde una copia de
    seguridad anterior WhatsApp . Sea un poco más cautelosos con estas opciones.

16. You need to be far too chaotic for many of this!
    Solution is among the best all-around freeware applications on the market.

Do you have a number of twenty-dollar bills inside your wallet?

17. You need to combine practicality and personal touch in the gifts.
    People who tend to overpack their personal effects are always caught up in this dilemma.
    Tent camping is great for families with younger children because it’s fun, inexpensive, and the right combination of being
    outdoors without being too far from those modern conveniences.

18. redsnow says:

I don’t understand this article… You should check http://www.redsn0w.us/ for
    more details

19. I think the admin of this site is truly working hard in favor of his site,
    since here every data is quality based data.

20. I think that is among the most important info for me.

And i’m satisfied studying your article. But want to statement on some basic things, The website style is ideal, the articles is actually excellent :
    D. Excellent process, cheers

21. What’s Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It positively useful
    and it has aided me out loads. I am hoping to
    give a contribution & aid different users like its helped me.

Good job.

22. Additionally, superior good quality utilised vehicle areas application should
    have the functionality to track sales of parts that were not logged
    onto the program. To ensure all these safety tips while you are towing its necessary
    to have a good towing services. Personal bankruptcy should be a last
    resort in debt management and debt consolidation.

23. Updating the Include Feed demands continuous information packet trade.
    You can contact your friends and family on Viber with their contact numbers.

The steps below have to be taken to make it function.

24. I usually suggest installing that application also, but the currently available edition only works on iOS 3.two.

If you live in a little region, you might only have a
    couple of shops that have what you are intrigued in.

25. You can ruin your phone if you are careless.
    And if your device bricks it will stop operating permanently.
    When you see the concept” put together to jailbreak (DFU)”, then plug your device to a Computer.

26. You haave made some good ppoints there. I looked on the web too find out more abhout thhe issue annd found most individuals will go along with your views on this site.

Review my webpage … stamped concrete

27. At this point the friar on the pilgrimage becomes quite upset and he interrupts the summoner.
    Glancing up briefly, the silver glint of the captain’s famed weapon shone from his
    vantage point. Of smale houndes hadde she, that she fedde With roasted flesh, or
    milk and wastel-breed.

my web site: swing copters hack