Congratulations to Miriam Sweeney: Winner of SHOWDOWN & Laurence Winram: Runner-Up

Congratulations to the winner of the SHOWDOWN competition, Miriam Sweeney, and her work “Subversion”. Out of close to 4500 entries, her artwork will go on to display at the Saatchi Gallery in London. She will also receive US$1,000. Congratulations also goes to runner-up Laurence Winram for his work “The Watchers”, which will also be exhibited at the Saatchi Gallery. He will also receive US$500 for claiming the #2 spot in SHOWDOWN.

Artists can still upload their work for the Scope New York Showdown Tournament at www.saatchionline.com/showdown. We are taking entries through January 26th, 2011. We look forward to seeing your submissions!

Winner - Subversion by Miriam Sweeney, Digital Photography, 40 cm x 59 cm

Runner-up - The Watchers by Laurence Winram, Archival Photographic print

1. Project M says:

Many Congrats Miriam! Well done! It was a tough showdown.

2. Wonderfully emotive piece of work, well deserved win.

3. congratulations to the winners. both deserving works of art. however, some of the works that made it to the end stages of the showdown where not deserving and were there as a result of networking campaign with complete disregard to any artistic value. I would like to see a clean and fair competition in the future, where artists vote for art and not calculating strategies to make their work progress. perhaps it would be better if there were several categories, each competing separately; photography, drawing, oil, animation etc.

• Liana
      Good and sound comment.
      I too think categories would be a good solution.
      Marianne Frank

• Lucy Browne says:

I completely agree with you!
      I have had quite a few people who I don’t know requesting “friendship” I naively thought it was because they liked my work and wanted to discuss ideas, but no they just start badgering me to vote for them!
      I reckon the category idea is the way forward.

• Dear Liana,

Here and in life the best way is to choose your friends!

Gianluca

• Gunes Tan says:

ABOVE IS WHAT YOU HAVE WRITTEN.

THIS WAS AN ONLINE COMPETITION AND EVERYONE INCLUDING THE WINNER WHOM I WOULD LIKE TO CONGRATULATE AT THIS MOMENT, DID THE SAME EVEN THE WINNER DID “NETWORKING AND STRATEGIES TO MAKE THEIR WORK PROGESS”.
      ANYONE WHO IS CLAIMING THE OPPOSITE IS EITHER DREAMING OR IS TRYING TO REACH AN ALTERNATE PURPOSE.

ALL THE ARTWORK SUBMITTED HAD A QUALITY OF THEIR OWN WHICH WE AS A PERSON OF THE WORLD CANNOT PUT DOWN FOR ANY REASON AT ALL.

IT WOULD BE DISCRIMINATION AND UNFAIR. I am underlınıng thıs DISCRIMINATING AND UNFAIR.
      BECAUSE EVERYONE ONE WAS UNDER THE SAME CONDITIONS AND THUS ACTED ACCORDINGLY, AGAIN AS A PERSON OF THE WORLD
      IT IS VERY UNPLEASANT TO COME UPON SUCH CONTEMPT AND DISRESPECT TO ANOTHER FELLOW MAN OR FELLOW ARTISTS.

This competıtıon was as fair as an online competition can be. It couldn’t have been done any otherway. The only way one can get what you are expecting is if you had a jury and (THE JURY)they decide instead of anyone who can vote.

So do you think that the winner didn’t do any networking ha ha ha :) don’t make me laugh. It’s pure unlogical for this to be any other way in an online competition.
      So Please people stop taking sides or whatever it is your doing (trying to be the winners pet) This shows simply very childlike quality action to do in a media of such high quality.

4. Zahide Ugur says:

This is the best comment so far about the showdown Liana. I definitely agree about seperating the works in different categories. I also believe that you have a very good point about the networking campaing.

5. I absolutely agree with Liana. There should be separate categories and the “networking” did get out of hand.

6. Congratulations, really wonderful piece and deserved winner. Agree with Liana too, i think the process needs refining, but great networking and inspiration on the site.

7. John Rula says:

Is the Runner up THE WATCHERS created by the artist or is this a old print he found and submitted?

8. Tomo says:

Phoney friends, well that’s life, my new policy is to vote against friends…… so, who wants to friend me ?

• Gunes Tan says:

Friends being phony well I have come across hundreds of people in my life who even have relatives who are phony.

The only way a competitor can get votes is to befriend people in this websight and ask for votes. Right now I am getting mail from people who are competing in SCOPE. How will people know of their artwork if they don’t send an email and ask for their vote. I am getting mail saying “if you like my artwork please vote for me”
      So I can’t see what is wrong about this and I CAN’T UNDERSTAND THE POLICY THAT SOME OF THE PEOPLE HERE ARE TRYING TO ESTABLISH.
      WHAT KIND OF GAME IS GOING ON TAKING SIDES AND EXCLUDING OTHERS. WHAT IS THIS ENVIRONMENT COMING TO.

9. Well deserved – two very exciting pieces of work – very well done

10. It´s about selling art work. It is about another way to promote ourself. In the complex jungle that lives on Saatchi Online, we have the oportunity to meet new artists. You can also decide not to vote for their work. You can ignore their “requests for friendship”. In any case Favouritism and subjectivity will always exist. However one thing is true, most of the time ” the best one wins”.Congratulations to Miriam, great image.

11. I agree with both the main comments by all the bloggers
    a/ Networking-i e getting your friends, contacts to vote for you should be stopped-how? Is money involved
    I have artist contacting me as well, wanting to be ‘friends’.

b/Comparing videos etc with painting, and judging their relative value is difficult if not impossible- there should be categories

• Gunes Tan says:

if you thınk that networkıng and contacts for votes should be stopped then it would be better for you to be a member of a website where they have voting by judges.
      Otherwise you have to comply by what goes on here and try to enjoy every bit of it.
      I do agree with your idea of “there should be categories”, your perfectly dead right on that.

12. Congrats to the winners.
    Agreed. I was disgusted by the vote trawling. I highly doubt one would have 200 PAGES of friends for any other reason than to beg for votes. While we all have ‘free will’ of course, we are also human and we tend to be ‘nice’. Of course when you receive a message stating: “I think your work is great, I voted for you in the Showdown, have a look at my link and vote for me please” you feel a slight warm fuzzy feeling inside that prompts you to return the favour. Of course, this being my first Showdown I fell for it. I am sure that message was copy/pasted and sent off to hundreds of people. Only a fraction of the recipients need fall for it, and voila! You have votes. And of course in hindsight, I doubt that my piece of artwork was voted on by said person. It worked once, but I promise: never again.

Here, again, I am suggesting this.

I also agree on the categorisation of artwork. If you will notice, only 2 dimensional art has won the Showdown. Paintings and photography look much more appealing and striking as a small image. I think other mediums miss out with the random head to head nature of the competition. And comparing one medium with another is indeed impossible.

• Gunes Tan says:

WELL, I’M SO SORRY THAT YOU DIDN’T WIN SINCE YOU RETURNED THE FAVOR BECAUSE THE PERSON WHO WROTE TO YOU SAID THAT THEY VOTED FOR YOU. I SEE THAT YOU JUST RETURNED A FAVOR SO WHAT IS SO WRONG WITH THAT????? THE PERSON VOTED FOR YOU AND YOU VOTED FOR THAT PERSON.

I have this friend who was cheated on by her husband, I’m sorry to talk about her because it sounds very negative and discriminating what she does. Anyway I have this girl friend that simply keeps on crtitisizing on and on because she is so bitter inside she critisizes the simpliest things that come across her, it’s because of her husband. This is not the place to talk about such accusatory stuff it sounds very discirminating and putting another person down being judgemental but I just couldn’t help myself to talk about her. Of course this is a very subjective issue but I saw that there was mail that was subjective so ı thought I can also write about something that is subjective.

As you say we are actually still children and we get affected by what others say and do we need to grow but I guess it will take time.

I recieved some mail from some of my friends in Saatchi who wrote about your mail that you have posted here saying vote whoring. Nice job saying that about another fellow member. That’s why I wondered what you wrote that could be so subjective and sidelining, picking on a fellow member with a request from Saatchi Facebook that is such a harsh action.

Actually I’m wondering is your conscience at ease.
      There is a famous saying “WHAT YOU SOW YOU WILL REAP IN THE FUTURE”
      THIS IS THE TERMINAL STAGE OF DISCRIMINATION. THIS GIVES THE FEELING OF THE DAYS OF WITCH HUNTING IN EUROPE AND SALEM.

I MYSELF FEEL HUMILIATED AND SHAME ON MY PART TO LET SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAPPEN TO A FELLOW MEMBER JUST BECAUSE WHO EVER IT IS SENT A MAIL ASKING FOR A VOTE . WHAT HAS BEEN DONE TO SOMEONE ELSE TODAY, CAN HAPPEN TO ANYONE IN THIS ENVIRONMENT TOMORROW.

SO I SUGGEST EVERYONE TO STOP THIS BICKERİNG AND GOSSIPING AND POLITICAL LOBBYING BEHIND PEOPLES BACK.
      I HAVEN’T SEEN ONE MAIL FROM THE PERSON ACCUSED, IS THIS FAIR??
      THIS IS EXTRAJUDICIAL KILLING.
      ASKING SAATCHI ONLINE TO REMOVE THE LINK AND ARTWORK OF A FELLOW MEMBER JUST BECAUSE HE WROTE A MAIL ASKING FOR A VOTE WHICH YOU WERE VERY HAPPY TO GIVE BECASUE YOU RECEIVED A VOTE FROM HIM??????? IS THIS FAIR.

CALLING IT VOTE WHORING. THIS IS SAYING THAT PERSON IS A WHORE. THAT IS CRIMINAL LIBEL. THIS PERSON WHO EVER IT IS CAN TAKE YOU TO COURT.

TODAY THAT PERSON TOMORROW ANYONE AND EVERYONE.
      I MYSELF FEEL VERY MUCH OFFENDED BY WHAT YOU HAVE WRITTEN.

HISTORY HAS PEOPLE WHO ACCUSED OTHERS OF BEING A WITCH JUST BECAUSE THEY WANTED TO,
      OR BETTER YET JUST BECAUSE THEY DIDN’T GET THEIR WAY. ….

AND THEY WERE BURNED.

THIS IS ANOTHER WAY OF BURNING HAVING SOMEONE THROWN OUT.

YES TODAY THIS IS HOW WE BURN OTHERS BY ACCUSING THEM OF TRIFFLE THINGS.

IN WHICH CENTURY ARE WE???????
      SAATCHI ONLINE ARE YOU LETTING THINGS LIKE THIS HAPPEN??????

I WANT THAT PERSON WHO IS BEING ACCUSED TO WRITE AND EXPLAIN WHAT HAPPENED.
      WE NEED EQUALITY IN THIS ENVIRONMENT OTHERWISE WE ARE NOT SAFE. SAME THING CAN HAPPEN TO US.

13. MY NAME IS CHARLES SAATCHI AND I AM AN ARTOHOLIC, Charles Saatchi
    SEVEN DAYS IN THE ART WORLD, Sarah Thonton
    And that is just the beginning…
    Read ‘em.

14. K says:

Vote trawling/vote whoring great expressions
    just chose to have no friends
    get a dog/cat /parrot/mouse/ant friend instead
    great company they will appreciate n adore u
    never really annoy n b sooo much funn
    congratulations Miriam ‘love your horse’ one of my kind XX

‘vote against friends that’s funnee tomo

15. K says:

And yess it was a scam to get ur art across the line
    however it does take a certain astute n possibly desperate brain to bother
    has anyone of you seen ‘exit through The gift shop?
    Wundering wondering how you would feel about thierry or tezza as we call him?

16. Project M says:

Some of these comments sound like they are from sore loosers. Let’s be thankful that we have this lovely website and remember these words from the creators of this site – “Welcome to the new republic of artists, art lovers, and collectors of beauty in all forms. We built this space for you to explore, refine and enrich. It is a free and open landscape to foster talent, support the process, share ideas and influences and exhibit the result of artistic self-expression.”

• @ProjectM
      I think all of us are thankful for such a great forum to show our work and get feedback and indeed make contacts. There is a line though. And I draw it at aggressive emailing/vote trawling. Words like “having a nervous breakdown” etc appearing in the email, and also accusations of opponents cheating and falsifying identities. Please, before you call us sore losers, make sure you understand where we might be coming from. All I know is that the final email I received was enormous, full of accusations and very mean spirited.
      I also point out that my criticism is not geared toward the winner of the Showdown, but rather at the practices of others vying for the title in the final rounds.

• Project M says:

Dear Agota, so sorry that you recieved aggressive emails. I hope you reported them. I receieved a few “vote for me” emails, but do you think I voted for them? No. It actually backfired on them after I realised what they were up to. We are free agents and therefore can vote for who we want to. As there are so many entries perhaps there should be a bigger bracket at the final rounds. Anyways, I just checked out your page. Nice work! Hope you do well in this Showdown!

• Hi Project M,

Thank you for you kind words. Ditto: nice work!
          They were indeed reported. Emails have stopped thankfully.
          While I agree with you that we are free agents but we as humans are a bit compelled to be nice and therefore get sucked into social niceties even though we are tens of thousands of kilometres apart with no actual contact with one another. Our online social interactions have no ‘real’ consequence as such, but we still strive to basically not be bastards :) Well most people that is.
          All the best to you Project M in the Showdown!
          Ágota

• Gunes Tan says:

This is the first statement I have seen that gives a sound strudy, logıcal
      smart and positive composition of the person who has written.
      Good on you Project M. Your a man of truth, a man of trust.

• Gunes Tan says:

DEAR AGOTA MOLNAR

WHY WERE YOU SO AFFECTED BY SOMEONE WHO ACCUSED THEIR OPPONENT OF CHEATING???? WHAT WAS IT TO YOU THAT IT AFFECTED YOU AND YOU BECAME SO RESENTFUL.

YOUR SAYING UNDERSTAND WHERE WE ARE COMING FROM. WHO IS “WE” SO IT’S NOT ONLY YOU. WHO ARE YOU WORKING WITH OR FOR??? ARE YOU A GROUP OR SOMETHING.

YOU GET OFFENDED BY BEING CALLED SORE LOOSER YET YOU GO AND
        REQUEST FOR SOMEONE TO BE REMOVED.
        SO WHAT! IF THAT PERSON SAID THAT HE OR SHE IS HAVING A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN , IS THAT HOW YOU REPLY TO SOMETHING LIKE THAT. WHAT IF THAT PERSON IS REALLY HAVING A BREAKDOWN AND DOES SOMETHING TO THEMSELVES??
        MAYBE THEIR JUST JOKING OR SOMETHING. DO WE KNOW??????

YOU WANT PEOPLE TO MAKE SURE THEY UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU WENT THROUGH BEFORE BEING ACCUSED OF BEING A SORE LOOSER.

YOU WANT OTHERS TO UNDERSTAN YOU; DO YOU TRY TO UNDERSTAND OTHERS?????
        THIS PERSON EVIDENTLY FROM WHAT YOU HAVE TOLD US, THAT PERSON DID NOT ACCUSE YOU SO WHY ARE YOU SO UPSET ABOUT SOMEONE ELSE BEING ACCUSED???????
        THIS MAKES NO SENSE, THERE IS NO LOGIC IN WHAT YOU ARE SAYING AND DOING.
        YOU ARE SAYING SOMEONE ACCUSED THEIR OPPONENT IN THE MAIL YOU GOT AND THERE YOU GO AGAIN, YOU ARE ACCUSING THAT PERSON OF ACCUSING SOMEONE. YOUR DOING THE SAME THING THAT YOUR ACCUSING SOMEONE ELSE OF.

DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT PERSON WAS GOING THROUGH???? DID YOU TAKE THE TIME TO UNDERSTAND THAT PERSON.
        SINCE YOU WANT TO BE UNDERSTOOD DID YOU DO IT???.

WHY?? IF THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU. WHY AND WHERE IS THE LOGIC IN WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

YOU CALL THAT PERSON VERY MEAN SPIRITED HOW ABOUT YOU????

SO WHATS WITH YOU. YOUR TELLING US THAT YOUR NOT MEAN SPIRITED!!!
        GATHERING FROM WHAT YOU HAVE WRITTEN YOU HAD SOMEONE KICK OUT OF THIS SITE QUOTE:They were indeed reported. Emails have stopped thankfully.
        NOT BECAUSE THEY HAD DONE ANYTHING TO YOU, DID THEY USE FOUL LANGUAGE ON YOU OR DID THEY DO ANYTHING DEALING WITH YOU???

YOU COULD HAVE JUST DELETED THEM FROM YOUR FRIOENDS LIST DID THAT EVER COME TO YOUR MIND???
        PEOPLE IF YOU DON’T WANT TO BE FRIENDS WITH SOMEONE JUST TAKE THEM OFF YOUR FRIEND LIST YOU NEED NOT DO ANYTHING MEAN TO ANYONE.
        I HOPE FROM NOW ON THIS ENVIRONMENT WILL BE A MORE PLEASANT AND LOGICALLY POSITIVE ONE WITH GOODNESS IN EVERYONES HEART AND LOVE SO THAT WE CAN HELP ONE ANOTHER AND NOT DISCRIMINATE AND SIDELINE ONE ANOTHER.

• woah…… Gunes Tan…. relax. Your “yelling” isn’t creating a very positive environment. And for the record: I did not ask for anyone to be removed.

• Gunes Tan says:

Was I yelling, I wanted everyone who was in the same boat as you to see and read and realıze or maybe figure out how we humans should differ from other species of the world.. My yelling is nothing compared to all the belittleling, discrimination, unfairness and favoritisman done here. The psychological tactics you use are to evident.

What you wrote previously, quote:
            “I have suggested on Saatchi Facebook that the link to the submitted artwork be removed. This would get rid of vote whoring. Full stop.
            Here, again, I am suggesting this. ”

the above was written by you, so in what way are you saying that you did not ask for anyone to be removed when you have this statement written from before? This I am wondering.

• Project M says:

Thanks for your kind words towards me. Please note I am not a man. I’d be interested to see your work (you’ve not given us a link). You seem so passionate with this forum. Things do seem to have gone out of control on this subject, but there is no need to shout (Cap Lock). Lets hope the new adjusted site works better for everyone. All we can do is learn from this experience and look forward to the next Showdown!

• gunes tan says:

Your wellcome, but I only expressed what I observed. You not being a man doesn’t really matter Project M it’s a figurative speech.
          I’m passionate of being, acting and expressing oneself humanely and in equality. I don’t like injustice in any form.
          The time has to be ripe for one to receive me and my work.
          Sometimes you can affect a situation which is actually yelling out discrimination and others are in silence of it by showing what is being done in (Cap Lock) again applying it figuratively.
          Yes I learned, that’s why I wrote my peace of mind.

17. Ágota Molnár says:

Gunes Tan,
    If you stop and READ my comment and other’s comments properly before you jump to all your unfounded accusations. The people who have voiced their opinions, this includes ME is not to remove the link to any SPECIFIC art work, but the link system all together. So that people who have THOUSANDS of so called friends cannot just ask for votes by providing the LINK to the work. But rather the artwork speaks for itself in the Showdown. Understand now?
    It had NOTHING to do with the specific artwork of any specific person. I was speaking in generalities. I am very sorry that you misunderstood.
    I also love how you have chosen to attack me on here, considering many others have also voiced this opinion in pretty much all the other forums on here.

• gunes tan says:

Agota Molnar,
      Yes well thats a good idea use it on yourself please and read between the lines also. Thats why I think you should re read what you wrote.
      Also if anyone else here has anything to say for themselves, were all grown ups each person can speak for themselves you don’t have to defend or speak on their part. I will end this debate by saying;
      anyone who doesn’t want to be friends with someone, just delete them from your friend list thats all you have to do.
      This isn’t a gossip forum.
      Every member can send and ask for votes here because this is a new system either one gets use to it, or if not has the liberty of leaving.

If anyone is not happy with the voting system or anything else on this website then you can delete yourself from Saatchi online. It’s that simple.