Preparing Your Showdown Submission

In Living Color…Submissions Begin January 8th, 2013

We’re excited to be starting the new year with a new Showdown competition and look forward to your participation. (Click here to read more about the theme, In Living Color). In order to make sure your submission stands out, please be sure to keep the following in mind:

Complete Your Personal Profile
We want to know about you and so do collectors, Showdown judges, journalists, and curators. We strongly encourage you to complete your profile. Not only will it help with Showdown, but we know that complete profiles lead to sales as well.

• Artist Statement: An artist statement can be anything as long as you think it helps people to understand how you make your work. It can describe what you are thinking, why you make art, the process you use, or  your inspiration. Ask yourself: who, what,where, when, why, and how.
  • Bio: Tell us about yourself.  Are you self taught or did you attend university? Have you exhibited your work or are you just starting out? Can your work be found in any collections? Have you won any awards?

Presentation:
Making sure your art can be viewed accurately is one of the most important elements of Showdown (and of selling your work online). Lighting, cropping, and presentation are essential.

• Upload HIGH QUALITY images; do not overly compress files
  • Make sure the BACKGROUND ISN’T SHOWING when you crop your images
  • Make sure there aren’t any HOT SPOTS in the lighting

For more information on how to photograph your work check out our artist resource page here: http://www.saatchionline.com/artschool.

Thank you for sharing your talent and enthusiasm with the Saatchi Online community. We look forward to seeing your work! Again, submissions begin Tuesday, January 8th at 11 am Pacific Standard Time. We’ll be launching the submission page shortly with all the details and dates.

POSTSCRIPT Regarding Government-Issued Identification

In order to prevent fraud and protect our customers, we must receive a copy of a government-issued identification that includes your photo and full name (ie. passport or drivers license) before your artwork will be listed for sale. You may black out the identification number if you like.

There are two ways to upload a copy of your identification:

1. Upload it as part of the Upload/Sell process, or
  2. Go to Account > Address and Identification and upload it within the “Government Issued Identification” section of that page.

- The Saatchi Online Team

1. Kbm says:

Look fine now!

2. ERIC HALL says:

You say:

“submissions begin Tuesday, January 8th. We’ll be launching the submission page shortly with all the details and dates.”

It’s already Friday, January 4th — oh dear! I didn’t miss that page release, did I?

3. This is great… Can’t wait!

Submissions Begin January 8th, 2013… When do they end?

4. Colour is magic!: It’s a journey through the senses; it’ s an inspiration from the soul. It is the unspoken fluidity of words that can be perceived through the eyes of the spectator.

5. Waiting for the details.

6. This is great, abstractionists! colorists!
    Does this require to upload a latest artwork or we can choose anyone that follows this theme, kindly reply. as I am very much excited about this showdown!

7. Monica Bianchini says:

Wow! Doesn’t colour rule the world? :) We are colour… our auras are colours, nature is colour.. We couldn’t live without the sparkle of colour in our lives!

8. Hi, it’s well past 11am on the 8th of jan 2013 in New Zealand …. We see the sun first, waiting waiting waiting…..

9. antonis Dimitriou says:

As I consider the showdown as a great challenge, let us know the details…

10. How can I submit to the showdown?

11. Checked the world clock for U.K it’s just past 11am 8 th jan… Still no sign of the showdown starting, where are you people based?… Off to bed past 12 at night 9 th jan now…well see you tomorrow aye,

12. My entry will be from my ongoing series of digital images called Kauluwela Moku. It is derived from two Hawaiian words. A couple of meanings of Kauluwela are glowing and colorful. Moku means island. In combination they mean glowing colorful island. The series of images are an exploration of color. Created from photographs that I took on the island of Kauai over a period of several years they serve as a visual reminder of the many levels warmth and color that I found there.

13. where can I submit to the countdown’?

14. This is my favourite showdown theme so far. I have submitted “je ne regrete rien”. Colour is my life, my soul, my love!

15. Jacob Swab says:

How do I submit work(s)?

16. Br B says:

What ever happened to simplicity and joy in presenting artworks? Why the meticulous ritual to supply a clinically clean submission image?
    Art is meant to be enjoyed in a relaxed manner. Freed from regulation and tight mindedness, as it is not a mass produced product, but stands alone as itself …Art!
    This applies to the artist too! As he/she needs to feel a part of his/her creation is being felt and appreciated, not clinically appraised and judged by imagery before the item even arrives in the Gallery environment.

Art is about people and life and feelings, and is human, (full of human frailties and not about technical perfection) Though we they do strive to produce the best that is humanly possible. Art is not overly refined to suit the buyers wealthy tastes nor intellectualized…it stands alone as an extension of the artist, a small piece of his/her mental and emotional creation.

• You are right about the free expression of your work. However, in submitting it through electronic medium, a veneer is applied that will obscure the true visual meaning of the work. Thus they are advising participants to be mindful of this and to copy the best repreasentation of the original they can. At the end of the day, it’s all about the original, not its copy.

17. Fernando Torres says:

Bien….Bien .., a participar coloristas del MUNDO .

18. Chakori says:

Is artwork from India eligible ? How do we get government issued id ?

19. Bea Kayani says:

I would also like to find out how to get a government issued ID in UK?

20. Parirokh Graham says:

This is a wonderful Showdown theme.

Whatever the medium or the theme of my works, they have one thing in common: COLOUR and colour again. Without colour all would be unseen. But colour also deceives. It betrays our preconceptions of its strength and weakness. Baby pink, inside the nursery or in the heart of the Nepenthes plant waiting for the unsuspecting fly.

Greatly enjoying all the submissions. Thank you all.

21. LindaLaLuna says:

No answer on how to submit which is a really weird way of running an artists showcase and submission site.
    I found the dates “until 22 jan”. Obv far too late. But I am unable to find any way to join anything.
    I’m also directing my clients to here when interest in a print arises so not impressed with the difficulty of joining as I’m giving Saatchi-online 50% commission. I’ve tried several times before within the so called submission dates.

22. After going over a number of the blog posts on your web site, I honestly like
    your technique of blogging. I book-marked it to my bookmark site list
    and will be checking back in the near future. Please check out my website as well and
    let me know your opinion.

23. Hi, its good piece of writing regarding media print, we all understand media is a fantastic source
    of facts.

Visit my webpage vintage clothing in nashville tennessee