Saatchi Online Spotlight: Gallery SHOWDOWN Runner-Up Giuliano Iunco

Congratulations to Gallery SHOWDOWN’s runner-up, Giuliano Iunco and his work “Slow motion”. Out of a record 5,721 entries, his artwork will be on display at the Saatchi Gallery in London. He will also receive US$500.

Slow motion by Giuliano Iunco

Please tell us about yourself:

GI: I was born in Torino, where I still live, in 1975. Photography is my biggest passion although I earn my living dealing with technical issues.

Tell us what inspired this piece you submitted for SHOWDOWN?

GI: As for almost all of my works my inspiration it’s the moment itself, unique and unrepeatable.

Giuliano Iunco

What would you call your style?

GI: Everyday street shooting, paying attention to composition and the relationship between the subject. I try to see what nobody else is able to see. Most of my work is black and white.

Tell us about a typical day for you.

GI: Waking up, going to work, and counting every single moment that separates me from my camera.

What kind of training did you receive? Are you self-taught or did you go to art school?

GI: I am totally self-taught. I started to take photos five years ago.

Who is your favorite artist?

GI: I must mention at least three artists who inspire me very much: Henri Cartier-Bresson, Elliott Erwitt, and Josef Koudelka.

Please tell us about your recent and upcoming exhibitions.

GI: I’m currently working at presenting my own exhibition. For more information, go to http://www.giulianoiunco.it.

If you would like to participate in the next Showdown, we are now accepting new submissions for a new Juried Saatchi Gallery Showdown contest. To enter your work into SHOWDOWN, go to www.saatchionline.com/showdown.

1. Patrick Durston says:

It’s all very well that these artists who won the Saatchi Gallery Showdown get their work and presence extremely known on this site (as they rightly should), but I thnk we can at least tone down the amount of extreme exposure they have become richly saturated with since they won. The competition finished ages ago, now lets focus on the present please, and plan ahead for the upcoming Saatchi Showdown. These people have become repetitively worshipped celebrities on this site, we know they won excellently well and have handsomely recieved either USD1000 or USD500 or have had the oppurtunity to display their work in a very sophisticated gallery. But anyway, it is good to see what these artists have to say in these interviews though at least.

Patrick

2. Hernot says:

Patrick, you are only saying that because you are jealous. You have to admit Giuliano is a talented photographer. Some you win and some you loose….that’s life

3. Patrick Durston says:

As a matter of fact Hernot, there is no jealousy or malice involved within me, and I completely respect what this fantastic photographer has to offer in terms of beauty and style, but my argument or point is not directed to Guilano, it is directed to how Saatchi Online keeps putting these artists on spotlight all the time now since they won (which to me was eons ago), and now we have the upcoming Saatchi Showdown, I think we can gear up for new, fresh, diverse art that has a lot of potential and deserves to be rewarding because of it’s artistic talent and the practitioner behind it. So all I am saying is that yes these artists deserved to be winners and yes the whole world can be their oyster and so can the attention they recieve on and outside of this site, but at the same time a little bit too much fame on a single site can I think become a bit tedious after a short while to people who have don’t have much confidence in their art who have an account on Saatchi. That’s all I’m saying, no jealous bone in my body right now thank you. Oh, and as matter of fact, I actually remember during the semi – finals of the Saatchi Showdown me sending good luck messages to each artist competiting in that stage, wishing them all the luck, support and outcome they recieve, and to remain positive even if they did or did not win, and one of those artist that I gave a personal messgae to was Guilano Iunco! And I am actually fondly glad that his talent made him into 2nd place, because he deserved it!

Patrick

4. Marco says:

I think Giuliano is a very talented social networker, that is the only reason i can see for this photograph winning out over so many other much more considered works. I’m sorry if this comment is too troll like for some, and i do not mean any personal offence to Giuliano, People were positively encouraged to spam like crazy. Hopefully the rule change will sort this out.

5. lucia says:

I am so happy for Giuliano, he is my friend and he is great artist !!! Welldone..I like every single photograph on your website !!! You deserve to be here….

6. Marco says:

I see you got nowhere this time!