Saatchi Online’s In Living Color Showdown is now underway and open for submissions. For those who are new to Showdown, this is our signature online competition in which artists showcase their work and vie for the opportunity for it to be judged by internationally-acclaimed artists and curators. The winner and runner-up will be invited to exhibit their art at the Saatchi Gallery in London.
The current Showdown takes color as the inspiration for its theme. The story of color is a global one: the Aztecs discovered Carmine red by crushing cochineal insects; the Phoenicians produced Tyrian purple; India brought us Indian yellow; and in the 18th century, the invention of Prussian blue allowed for a broader use of the color blue, which had previously required the rendering of lapis lazuli into Ultramarine.
Given the powerful role of color throughout the history of art, we’d like to see how color informs your work.
Now through January 22, 2013 at 11:59 am PST, we’re accepting submissions to our In Living Color Showdown competition. Here are some helpful links for preparing your entry:
- Official rules and key dates
- Tips on how to make your submission stand out
- More info on this Showdown’s theme: In Living Color
- All posted times are in Pacific Standard Time (PST).
- In order for submitted artwork to be considered, all participating artists must make their work for sale before the close of the submission period (January 22, 2013 at 11:59 am PST). Making work for sale requires uploading a government issued ID.
We look forward to your participation!
–The Saatchi Online Team