Showdown – Announcing Places & Spaces

Locations have always been a source of inspiration for artists which is why we’ve decided that the next Saatchi Online Showdown is going to be focused around the theme ofPlaces and Spaces.”

What do we mean?  We are interested in the subject of personal locations. This can be interpreted in a variety of ways from depicting your studio, your hometown, or even where you see yourself in the future.  Don’t be afraid to think outside the box, some people consider home a person, an object or even a pet. We want to get a glimpse into your life and surroundings and see the location that best represents your space, be it mental or physical.

What we define as “home” often ends up describing more about us, than the actual location.  From Sarah Sze’s geometric, abstract and expansive installations to Andrea Zittel’s perfectly designed living units. Or even a more traditional approach like Matthias Weischer‘s  hallucinatory architectural space paintings. You can  tell us your story in a painting, photograph, sculpture, collage or any other medium.

Submissions will begin within the first two weeks of September, so update your portfolio and get ready for the “Places and Spaces” Showdown.  We’ll be updating our site, Facebook and Twitter with details on dates, judges and more so check back often.

How will you tell your story?  Submissions are not limited to any category so enter your paintings, photographs, sculptures, collage and more.  We look forward to your submissions.

Sarah Sze, 360 (Portable Planetarium), 2010 Mixed media, 162 x 136 x 185 in Courtesy the artist and Tanya Bonakdar Gallery, New York

Matthias Weischer, Egyptian Room, 2001Oil on canvas, 220 x 220cmCopyright the artist. Courtesy the Saatchi Gallery, London

1. are you allowed to show an outside space as my garden has been designed using junk everything has been recycled sculptures by my son can i submit photos of this it has took many hours ,i hope to help raise funds for charity when it is completelt finished, theres recycled trees bricks a dragon sculptered from household bits a place of calm as also been created it is amaing what you can do the arty garden ilove this idea of spaces to describe who what and where

2. I would like you to show some Elvira Bach paintings on your SHOWDOWN.

Best wishes from London,
    Vera

3. Krup art photos of our artists space, residence and exhibition

4. formacolor says:

As an artistic creator living and working in corsica, I should show my interepretation of this island, a real artistic work; i.e. a re-presentation.
    formacolor (albert ETTORI)
    (SAATCHI GALLERY & PICTIFY)

5. paul says:

awesome, can,t wait…

6. How do we submit a video?

7. MATTHEW ROSE says:

Ah space, the final frontier.

8. “GATHERING OF THE TRIBES”
    September 29th
    2012
    KALAPANA, HAWAII
    (Big Island)
    ALL PEOPLE INTERESTED IN THEIR “FREEDOMS” AND THE USE OF THE INTERNET CAN PETITION GOVERNMENT SERVANTS TO REPRESENT THEM. (sign a petition and publish results) Those Servants can’t be trusted, but are welcome to join us in a day of meeting creative’s, where land begins. KALAPANA HWY ENDS…………
    “ART SHOW FROM THE LAVA FLOW” 50 Large Format Oil-Paintings created here on the Flow and Displayed Flat on the newly formed lands surface so Guests can walk on, dance on, make love & not war upon during a 1 hour performance of acoustic music created spontaneous. Thomas John Taylor is a 40 year resident of Hawaii, recipient of food stamps, living on HUD housing voucher for 14 years as a Lifetime Artist Oil/Painter with hundreds of Large Format oil/paintings in storage, will auction off this shows images with proceeds going toward charities.

All Gatherings Are An Information Exchange. This is a Chance For You To Share, Meet New People, Dance Upon
    Fine-Art For The Guinness World Record. Video Capture!

9. Hamon says:

C’est la promotion qui fait l’artiste ou le degré zéro de l’art.

John Hamon

10. John Hamon says:

C’est la promotion qui fait l’artiste ou le degré zéro de l’art.

11. John says:

C’est la promotion qui fait l’artiste ou le degré zéro de l’art

12. JH says:

C’est la promotion qui fait l’artiste ou le degré zéro de l’art

JH

13. John Hamon says:

C’est la promotion qui fait l’artiste ou le degré zéro de l’art

John Hamon

14. Good evening.
    This missive is in regards to painting. Specifically mine. And may be impossible to condense. I graduated in fine art painting in Belfast. Then moved to The States to pursue my work academically.
    I have made headway. Shows in NYC and Philadelphia. But in recent conversations with friends in London including my sister they suggested I move there.
    I apologize if this email is a tad on the personal side. But painting is my life. So in saying that the crux of this matter would be some solid advice. It would be most welcomed .
    Thank you for your time and patience.
    Kindest regards
    Jody….

15. immanuel says:

don’t try to tell me that this showdown has nothing to do with james holmes.
    your bat man jokes are sick…..saatchi, you have reached a new low and i wasn’t even involved in it…i thought ryan was bad….i think in the spirit of this sick and twisted entertainment for yourselves I will submit a piece of work to answer your call for mocking people who arent even buried yet….dante was right when virgil said no person involved in the arts will ever see a place with god by their works.

I WILL SEE YOU ALL FOR THE SHOWDOWN…….

16. solomon laurentiu mihail says:

INTREBARE?
    CATE IMAGINI POT TRIMITE PENTRU ACEEASI LUCRARE..,
    GANDINDU-MA LA NOUL SCHOWDOWN DIN SEPTEBRIE?
    INTR-O SINGURA FOTO , evident pot intra mai multe imagini
    (vezi ;;ANACONDA ” de laurentiu solomon – schowdown – iulie 2012)
    dar…, IN MULTE CAZURI NU ESTE SOLUTIA CEA MAI POTRIVITA..,
    mai ales pentru sculptura unde linia volumelor accentueaza continuu o ”asazisa noua forma …’
    intr=o noua lumina
    DATI-MI VA ROG UN ”PUNCT DE SPRIJIN !

va multumesc anticipat….. astept raspuns de la voi !

laurentiu mihail solomon – sculptor

17. Fred Spratt says:

Do entries have to be physically available and/or for sale? If so, when and for how long?

18. Fred Spratt says:

also, are there limitations as to how many pieces may be entred into this?

19. santhoah c h says:

I would like you to show some Elvira Bach paintings on your SHOWDOWN.

20. santhoah c h says:

I would like you to show some paintings on your SHOWDOWN.

21. Places and Spaces. Just my cup of tea!

22. LUKE MCKEOWN says:

I just read all of the above comments, and I wondered if everyone is insane? What kind of people write so much crap about their junk filled garden, ask advice about moving from New York to London, ask stupid questions without bothering to look up the answers on the Showdown rules, write five identical comments in French, think that Saatchi has something to do with sick Bat Man jokes, or that we care about food stamps in Hawaii, or that we care some one is going to submit Elvira Bach paintings? Help me understand!

I pondered about being quiet, but the above comments made me want to cry out in disbelief. Too MANY artists, NOT ENOUGH ART.

• Trevor says:

I think you can easily slip too far if you spend too much time trying to get people to understand your art. My wife finds it difficult to express much about my art, and she knows more than anyone about what I am trying to do, so what chance the world understanding, and hence care, about what I do?

On the other hand, when I work as an engineer I find it hard to find one artist who cares about what I do, to most I am just a train spotter. So, to my mind, insulting other people for not caring about your work is selfish if you don’t care about the ‘mundane’ lives of other people.

23. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)))0ºººººººº√√√√ßßßßSOrry FOR THE IMPROPPER Introduction´åºººººªªªªªªªª9ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬øøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆ¨¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥-LUCIANO-COPETE-¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥LIVING IN THE VIRTUAL •••WORLD •¶¶¶¶¶§§§§§§§£££££££™™™™BUT POOPING—¶¶ON-the-TOILET- I am an Artist that combines the ≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠††††††††††††††®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®√√√√√√√√√√√√√¶¶LOVE &PEACE From LA..-Virtual Realitywith your´´∑∑∑∑∑∑∑∑∑∑∑∑∑∑∑∑∑∑∑∑∑∑∑∑∑∑ååååååååååååååååååååååååååååååå圜œ∑∑∑∑∑†††††ˆµµ—-SOON –I”LLBE——-Real realit˚˚˚˚˚˚˚∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ ®®®®®®IN++LONDON-.µµµµµ˜∫∫∫∫∫∫∫∫∫∫∫∫∫∫∫∫∫∫∫∫∫∫∫∫∫∫∫∫∫∫√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√ç´

24. From my studio
    LOVE ART

25. How many works can be submitted? Did I miss this information somewhere?

26. Can I take part at this showdown with a slideshow with music? How can I get in a slideshow?

27. elena buftea says:

i am from Romania and i hope to be able TO reveal the beauty of my country

28. Maureen Carson says:

I have a site specific installation at my Uncle’s restaurant La Conversation. It is a small collage of postcards with a mat design that coincides with the photographs. The postcards are Nouvelle Images, each one has a reference to the Eiffel Tower, along with love and romance.
    I need to enter it as NFS. And I would need to accompany it with an Artist Statement.
    It fits the theme perfectly for me. Because I never want to leave this place when I visit.
    Would this be a valid entry?

29. Maybe this time, *art from the netherworld* will get a chance to be discovered
    in Saatchi Showdown…best wishes to all the beautiful artists and their awesome
    Places & Spaces…:-)
    http:// Erika.lancerika.com

30. now we prepare new residence of artists, also after this exhibition
    we are happy because of this energy in air